While attending Georgetown University Law Center, Sam clerked for the Illinois Attorney General’s Office and was a Legal Extern for Judge Lorna E. Propes, a Cook County Circuit Court Judge. Sam is certified as a mediator with the Center for Conflict Resolution and oversaw numerous mediations while completing a visiting student year at Northwestern Law School in 2016.
Prior to joining Robinson Curley P.C., Sam was a member of Kurth Lampe Worldwide, a strategic communications firm located in Chicago. During his time there he worked on corporate logistics and organization, political consulting, risk assessment, and crisis management.
While an undergrad at DePaul University, Sam was an intern for the Chicago Innocence Project, the AmLaw 200 firm Brownstein, Hyatt, Farber, and Schreck, and for United States Senator and Majority Whip Richard J. Durbin in Washington, D.C.
The son of Pulitzer Prize winning Chicago columnist Mike Royko, Sam was inspired to pursue a career in law after watching and reading about his dad’s zeal in fighting for the little guy. He sought his legal degree to advocate for others who believe they have been wronged and to make a positive impact in his community. Sam brings a similar dedication and passion to his work in employment, commercial, and intellectual property matters.
- Conducted research for the Big Ten including increasing the conference size beyond the original Big Ten schools.
- Investigated murder cases with the Chicago Innocence Project that led to either acquittals or pardons.
- Engaged in policy work on oil, drilling, and alternative energy in the wake of the Deepwater Horizon spill. Sam assisted in this capacity with both Senator Durbin and Brownstein, Hyatt, Farber & Schreck.
- Assisted in pre-trial motions for Judge Lorna Propes.
- Worked on matters involving Illinois medical marijuana approval and firearms regulation while at the Illinois Attorney General.
- State Bar of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2016
- Northwestern Law School, Visiting Student, 2016
- DePaul University, B.A. in Political Science, 2011
Publications & Presentations
- A Love of Chicago, Chicago Tribune, September 2010