Al is a trial lawyer who is dedicated to finding the most cost-effective solutions for his clients. Al handles all forms of complex commercial litigation in trial and appellate courts nationwide, including: real estate disputes; shareholder/partnership disputes; contract disputes; construction defect disputes; insurance coverage disputes; landlord/tenant disputes; franchisor/franchisee disputes; restrictive covenant cases; intellectual property matters; Uniform Commercial Code cases; and professional liability cases. He has handled sophisticated and high-stakes matters throughout his career, including class actions. He has tried numerous cases to verdict (bench and jury), and has briefed and argued many appeals, a number of which have resulted in important published opinions. Al also has significant experience handling cases involving emergency injunctive relief. Al considers himself a valuable resource for businesses and entrepreneurs, and has resolved many cases through alternative dispute resolution processes, including mediation and arbitration. Al prides himself on results, measured by client satisfaction.
Al began his career in 1986 as a litigation associate at Sidley & Austin in Chicago. Prior to joining Robinson Curley in 2003, he was a litigation partner at the Chicago firm of Chuhak & Tecson, P.C.
- Represented a former in-house counsel of a bankruptcy debtor sued by its creditors alleging aiding and abetting an alleged fraud; case dismissed with prejudice on motion.
- Represented law firm in two separate malpractice actions; one dismissed on motion (and affirmed on appeal); the other mooted by underlying trial.
- Represented law firm/entrepreneur in multiple cases alleging impropriety in connection with tax lien proceedings and certificates; successfully resolved both.
- Represented property manager sued as third-party defendant arising out of alleged defects at property and for alleged defamation; successfully resolved.
- Represented manufacturing company alleged to have aided and abetted a trustee’s breaches of fiduciary duty in connection with lease transactions; case dismissed with prejudice upon motion.
- Defended manufacturer of mosquito insecticide in class action involving fishery collapse where plaintiffs sought $500 million. Case settled on favorable terms
- Represented plaintiff as part of trial team (jury trial) that won $2.1 million verdict in Nevada in auditing/accountant malpractice case
- Represented plaintiff and won $1.4 million verdict (bench trial) and then prevailed on appeal against public company on behalf of cost containment consultant who was not paid for savings achieved
- Obtained defense verdict (bench trial) for lottery ticket holders against claim of co-worker who sought a share of multi-million-dollar prize money
- Defeated claim (bench trial) seeking hundreds of thousands of dollars for failure to consummate sale of a business, limiting plaintiff's verdict to $1.00
- Obtained summary judgment defending exporter of recycled paper, metal and plastics on breach of contract claim seeking more than $3 million in damages on ground that liquidated damages clause was unenforceable penalty
- Briefed, argued and obtained United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit opinion affirming insurance coverage for an aviation insurance agency sued in a helicopter crash case
- Briefed, argued and obtained United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit opinion affirming insurance coverage for a law firm sued for malpractice
- Prevailed before Illinois Appellate Court, First District, in case of first impression applying willful and wanton standard to ice hockey injury that occurred during pre-game warm-up
- Prevailed before Illinois Appellate Court, First District, for condominium unit owner seeking insurance coverage under condo association's policy for plumbing leak because pipes were found to be a common element
- State of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Third and Seventh Circuits
Awards & Recognitions
- Named Illinois "Super Lawyer" in Business Litigation, 2005 - 2006 and 2008 - 2018
Memberships & Activities
- Past chairman (retired) of Division III of the Chicago Bar Association's Civil Practice Committee
- Board member (2009 - 2017) and president (2012 - 2015) New Trier Township High School District 203 Board of Education
- Board member and president (2001 - 2009) Wilmette Public Schools District 39 Board of Education
- President of Bucktown Community Organization (1994 - 1995)
- Past member of the Rotary Club of Wilmette Harbor, Wilmette, Illinois (Paul Harris Fellow)
- Board member and officer of Michigan Shores Club, Wilmette, Illinois
- Volunteer fastpitch softball coach (eleven seasons)
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., with Honor, 1986
- Member, DePaul Law Review
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, B.S. Journalism, with Highest Honors, 1983
- James Brady Award for Political Journalism, 1982